A little while ago, I had some packaged caramels that needed to be used for something. I mean I couldn’t let these caramels go to waste, right? Then remembered these tasty bars that incorporate oatmeal, chocolate and caramel. I also realized I never shared the recipe with all of you! They are many times referred to as caramelitas but I am calling these oatmeal chocolate and caramel bars.
These only make a 11 x 7 inch pan, which is a good thing. It would be extremely dangerous to have much more on hand. I seriously could eat the whole pan of these on my own! These would be great to make with the kids as a summer activity. They are also a great item to take to a pot luck!
- 1 (14 oz) pkg of individually wrapped caramels (about 40-49), unwrapped ****
- 3 Tbsp milk
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup rolled oats (old fashioned oats)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease an 11 x 7 baking dish.
- Place caramels along with milk in a sauce pan. Heat over medium heat stirring until caramels are melted and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the melted butter with the flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda, and salt. Press a little more than half of the mixture into the prepared 11 x 7 pan.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the pressed mixture followed by the caramel. Then sprinkle with the remaining oat mixture.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Allow to cool and cut into bars.
*** you can use 1 cup of caramel ice cream topping combined with 3 Tbsp of flour in place of the caramels and milk.
Recipe from an online friend of mine.