I don’t think I know very many people who don’t like sugar cookies, my husband is one of those exceptions. There is something so inviting about that buttery vanilla sugar cookie topped with sugary buttercream frosting just like these No Roll Sour Cream Sugar Cookies.
Sprinkles are optional, but I personally love the colored sugar sprinkles. However, for the photo I used shamrock sprinkles since St. Patricks Day is almost here. The other great thing about sugar cookies is you can make them festive buy coloring the frosting and/or adding on sprinkles.
These cookies are soft and tender thanks to the added sour cream. No rolling and cutting are needed to make these. A cookie scoop makes life easy but even a good old spoon works for scooping the dough onto the baking sheet.
No Roll Sour Cream Sugar Cookies
Real Mom Kitchen
- ½ cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 4 cups flour
- ¾ cup butter
- 3 ¾ cups powdered sugar
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla
- 3 Tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar together until creamy.
- Add eggs, vanilla, and sour cream and beat until smooth.
- Add baking soda, baking powder and flour and beat together until combined -- the dough will be soft, almost like cake batter.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line baking sheets with parchment paper. Using a cookie scoop or spoon to drop walnut sized amounts of dough onto baking sheets, placing 2-3 inches apart.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes, until edges are golden and centers are set. Allow to cook on sheet of a minute or two and then place on a rack to cool completely.
- Once cool, make frosting.Beat butter until smooth. Add sugar, vanilla and milk and beat until smooth. Color if desired and spread on cooled cookies. Makes 3 1/2 dozen cookies.
Recipe adapted from The Recipe Rebel.