I have shared a yummy recipe for sugar cookie bars before, but saw this variation and had to give it a try. The benefit of making sugar cookie bars is there is no rolling and cutting needed before you bake. Plus there is enough to serve a crowd.
Not only is there cream cheese in this cookie but also in the frosting. I figured the cream cheese would make a nice and tender cookie. I was right. I love it when I am right, don’t you?
The texture of the cookie turns out to be very tender and almost cake like. They are DIVINE! I had to send some of these bars off so I wouldn’t eat the whole pan. They were also received very well by those I sent them to. In fact, I received a request to make them again. They would be perfect to serve as part of your Easter celebration or for a baby/bridal shower. You will not be disappointed with these!
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened (I used light)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 C butter softened
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 3 1/2 C powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1–3 Tbsp milk
- food coloring, if desired
- In a large mixing bowl or stand mixer combine the butter, cream cheese, sugar, and egg blend with a mixer until nice and smooth. It will almost resemble frosting.
- Add the vanilla and almond extract and beat for 1 minute more.
- Add the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Beat for about 2 minutes.
- Spread or press the dough evenly into a jelly roll (13 x 18) pan. I found it easiest to spread it with an offset spatula.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Test with a toothpick for doneness.
- Let the pan cool completely.
- For the frosting, in a large bowl (or your stand mixer) beat the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Add the powdered sugar, milk, vanilla and food coloring, if desired. Beat for about 4 minutes until noce and fluffy.
- Frost cooled pan of cookies. Cut the cookies into bars and serve! Makes 40 bars.
Adapted from Jamie Cooks It Up. Thanks Jamie for sharing! Love ya!