Monte Cristo sandwiches are one of my favorites. I love the compliment of the sweet with the savory. These monte cristo sliders are a tasty variation.
A traditional monte cristo is an egg-dipped ham and cheese sandwich that is pan or deep fried. There is no frying with this slider verion. They bake in the oven. Also, these do not get a dip in an egg mixture. Instead they get a brushing with an egg mixture.
Every other element to a monte cristo are here. The ham, turkey, and swiss cheese. Don’t forget the dusting of powdered sugar and the jam for dipping. These monte cristo sliders are a delicious variation.Print
- 12 count package Hawaiian Rolls
- 12 slices deli ham
- 12 slices deli turkey
- 6 slices Baby Swiss cheese
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup melted butter
- Powdered sugar for topping
- Strawberry or raspberry jam for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 9 x 13 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Leaving the dinner rolls intact, slice them open with a serrated knife so that you have one solid top and bottom. Place the bottom half in the baking dish. Spread dijon mustard on the top and bottom.
- Place half of the sliced cheese on the bottom half followed by the sliced ham, sliced turkey, and remaining cheese. Replace the top half of the rolls.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg and slow drizzle in the melted butter while whisking. Brush the mixture on top of the rolls.
- Cover with loosely with foil (don’t let it touch the tops of the rolls to avoid sticking – use toothpicks if necessary to “lift” the foil).
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake for another 10 minutes or until tops are golden brown.
- Cool slightly, then cut apart with with a serrated knife. Sprinkle the top powdered sugar. Serve hot with berry jam on the side. Serves 4 as a main dish or 12 as an appetizer.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Appetizer, Main Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Recipe is adapted from Yellow Bliss Road.