Monte Cristo sandwiches are one of my favorites. I love the compliment of the sweet jam when you pair it with the savory sandwich. These monte cristo sliders are a tasty variation. You make them on Hawaiian rolls which adds a nice sweetness to the sliders.
A traditional monte cristo sandwich is an egg batter dipped ham and cheese sandwich that is then pan or deep fried. It’s like a French toast sandwich. There is no frying needed with this slider version. They bake in the oven. Also, these do not get a dip in an egg batter mixture. Instead, they get a brushing with an egg mixture.
You can find every other element to a monte cristo in here. There is ham, turkey, and swiss cheese. There is the addition of a spreading of some Dijon mustard on those Hawaiian rolls too. Don’t forget the dusting of powdered sugar over top before serving them with the jam on the side for dipping. These sliders are a delicious variation.
- HAWAIIAN ROLLS
- DELI HAM
- DELI TURKEY
- BABY SWISS CHEESE
- DIJON MUSTARD
- POWDERED SUGAR
- STRAWBERRY OR RASPBERRY JAM
- 12 count package Hawaiian Rolls
- 12 slices deli ham
- 12 slices deli turkey
- 6 slices Baby Swiss cheese
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup melted butter
- Powdered sugar for topping
- Strawberry or raspberry jam for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 9 x 13 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Leaving the dinner rolls intact, slice them open with a serrated knife so that you have one solid top and bottom. Place the bottom half in the baking dish. Spread dijon mustard on the top and bottom.
- Place half of the sliced cheese on the bottom half followed by the sliced ham, sliced turkey, and remaining cheese. Replace the top half of the rolls.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg and slow drizzle in the melted butter while whisking. Brush the mixture on top of the rolls.
- Cover with loosely with foil (don’t let it touch the tops of the rolls to avoid sticking – use toothpicks if necessary to “lift” the foil).
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake for another 10 minutes or until tops are golden brown.
- Cool slightly, then cut apart with with a serrated knife. Sprinkle the top powdered sugar. Serve hot with berry jam on the side. Serves 4 as a main dish or 12 as an appetizer.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Appetizer, Main Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Recipe is adapted from Yellow Bliss Road.