Today’s recipe is for mom’s rice pudding. Now, this recipe doesn’t come from my mom. It actually comes from my husband’s mom. It is something that he absolutely loves to have. He probably wishes I would make it more than I do.
This recipe is a great recipe to utilize leftover rice. You just need 1 cup of cooked rice for this. You can use leftover or just cook some up to make this. I always make it with leftover rice.
The rest of this dish is a basic custard made with eggs, milk, and sugar. There is also a little nutmeg added. You can always add raisins to this also. However, I don’t awlays have raisins on hand, so most of the time I leave them out.
The main trick to this is you bake it until the custard is set. So don’t want it to jiggle in the center. Mom’s rice pudding works to serve as part of a breakfast or brunch. It can also be served as a dessert.
I have a 1 1/2 qt round baking dish that I use to cook this in, but an 8 x 8 inch baking dish works just as well.Print
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup raisins, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, sugar and nutmeg. Mix in the cooked rice and raisins if desired.
- Carefully por into a 1 1/2 qt baking dish. I have a deep round correlle dish that I use but a 8 x 8 inch baking dish will work too. Cook at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour until custard is set in the center. Serves 6.
- Category: Breakfast, Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American