This post contains affiliate links.
I love a good bbq chicken sandwich. These instant pot honey barbecue chicken sandwiches are easy to make. Plus, they taste amazing.
This chicken cookins in a saucy liquid to get some good flavor into that chicken. After cooking, you discard the cooking liquid and shredd the chicke. Then you mix in bbq sauce and honey to the chicken.
You also make a simple coleslaw to put on these sandwiches. It’s super easy. You just need some coleslaw mix alon with a little mayo, honey, dijoin mustard and sugar.
Now as far as the bun goes, I like to toast mine. I think is helps the bun hold up better when topped with that saucy meat and coleslaw. So, you can choose to toast your bun or just use it straight from the package.
Then, a delicious added topping to these honey barbecue chicken sandwiches. It’s crispy French fried onions. They add a nice flavor and texture to the sandwich.
- CHICKEN BETTER THAN BOULLION
- BARBECUE SAUCE
- ONION POWDER
- BONELESS SKINLESS CHICKEN BREASTS
- SHREDDED COLESLAW MIX
- DIJON MUSTARD (I USED HONEY DIJON)
- FRENCH’S FRIED ONIONS
- LARGE HAMBURGER BUNS
Instant Pot Honey Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp chicken Better Than Boullion
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup BBQ Sauce
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 cups shredded coleslaw mix
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp Dijon Mustard (I used honey Dijon)
- 1/2 tsp honey
- 1 cup French’s fried onions
- 4 large hamburger buns
- Add the water, boullion, 1/4 cup of BBQ sauce and onion powder to the Instant Pot. Stir together.
- Place the chicken breasts into the liquid in the Instant Pot. Seal the lid and cook for 12 minutes.
- When finished, do a quick release. Remove the cooked chicken and shred with 2 forlks. Discard all the cooking liquid from the Instant Pot.
- Add the shredded chicken, 1 cup BBQ sauce and 1/3 honey into the Instant Pot. Stir until chicken is coated in sauce.
- Set the Instant Pot to Saute Normal for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally to ensure nothing sticks to the bottom of the pot.
- While the chicken is simmering, add the coleslaw mix, mayonnaise, sugar, mustard, and 1/2 tsp honey into a mixing bowl. Stir until coated well then set aside.
- Toast the hamburger buns in the oven or toaster oven if desired.
- To serve, spoon some of the bbq chicken onto the hamburger buns. Top with coleslaw and French’s fried onions.
This recipe is adapted from This is Not Diet Food.