I love a classic pot roast just like this Instant Pot Pot Roast with Vegetables, but I am not always a fan of the veggies. Sometimes they end up not being super flavorful. I usually end up eating the potatoes with ketchup and dousing the carrots in salt. Sometime the texture can also be off too. They can end up overcooked.
This instant pot pot roast with vegetables recipe is my new favorite way to make that classic dish. The roasts cooks in juices making a flavor gravy. However, before making the gravy, the vegetables cook in the juices. They cook just long enough to be the perfect tenderness.
After the veggies cook, you remove them with a slotted spoon and toss them in butter. No more issues with veggies with no flavor or overcooked texture.
At this point, the juices are then turned into an awesome gravy to drizzle over that tender roast. Give this version a try in the instant pot. I think it will be a hit.
- 3 pound chuck roast
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 14.5 oz beef broth
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 of a 16 oz bag of baby carrots
- 6 red potatoes, cut in half, then each half into quarters
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup water
- browning sauce
- Pat dry with a paper towel and season liberally with salt and pepper on all sides.
- Set your Instant Pot to saute. Once heated, add the oil. Add in the roast and sear on each side until browned. Remove the roast set aside on a plate.
- Add in onion and cook for 3 minutes until softened. Stir occasionally, scraping the brown bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Add the beef broth, tomato paste, and bay leaves. Stir until the tomato paste is incorporated. Place the roast back to the pot. Cover and lock the lid in place. With the valve on sealing, set the Instant Pot to manual for 75 minutes.
- Once the cooking is done, allow the pressure release naturally for 15 minutes. Then do a quick release of the remaining pressure
- Remove the roast from the pan. Place it on a plate and cover with foil.
- Remove the bay leaves from the juices. Add in the the carrots and potatoes. Cover and lock the lid in place, with the valve on sealing. Set to manual for 3 minutes. Then do a quick release of the pressure.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the vegetables to a bowl. In in the butter and parsley, the gently toss. Cover with foil.
- In a medium bowl or blender bottle, mix together the flour and water until smooth. Strain the juices from the instant pot and discard any solids.
- Pour 1-2 cups of the cooking liquid back into the instant pot. Slowly whisk in half of the flour mixture and turn on to saute. Bring the gravy to a boil, whisking often. If needed, slowly whisk in more of the flour mixture to reach the desired thickness of the gravy. If too thick. thin with a little water. Add a splash or 2 of browning sauce and taste. Salt and pepper as needed. Transfer the gravy to a gravy boat.
- Uncover the pot roast and slice. Serve slices drizzled with gravy and vegetables on the side. Serves 4-6.
Recipe adapted from Bread Booze and Bacon.