This post may contain affiliate links.
Looking for a use of that leftover Easter ham? This Instant Pot ham and potato chowder could be the answer. I love that the Instant Pot makes it possible to be enjoying this soup in about 30 minutes!
I made this Instant Pot ham and potato chowder last week on a day we had 12 inches of snow and had a snow day with school. Yesterday it was a beautiful sunny day with a high of 80 degrees. That snow from last week in snow completely gone. The weather has been crazy! However, weather it is snowy, rainy, or sunny where you are at, this soup is still wonderful.
This soup begins buy cooking the carrot and onion in a little butter until the onion is soft. Then add in some garlic. Next, you mix in some chicken broth to delgaze the pan followed with some potatoes, corn, salt and pepper. If you aren’t a fan of corn a good swap would be some frozen peas.
Now it’s time to pressure cook the ingredients. It cooks for 5 minutes on high followed with a 10 minute natural pressure release. Then do a manual release to remove any excess pressure. Then you are going to add in some milk, whipping cream, and the ham. Next comes in a mixture of cornstarch and cold water. Once that is mixed in, bring the instant pot back on the sauté mode. The mix and give it about 5 minutes and it will thicken the soup.
It’s that easy to made a pot of creamy ham and potato soup. I’m telling you if you haven’t used that Instant Pot or don’t have one, you are missing out. Mine sat on my shelf for a while before I actually used it. Now, I don’t know how I could live with out one. It makes it so easy to quickly make homemade meals!
- CHICKEN BROTH
- FROZEN CORN
- HEAVY CREAM
Instant Pot Ham and Potato Chowder
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4–5 cups potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 (12 oz) pkg frozen corn
- 1 1/2 cups diced ham
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch mixed with 2 Tbsp cold water
- Set the Instant Pot to saute and add the butter. When the butter is melted, add the onion and carrot and sauté for five minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté for two minutes, then turn off the Instant Pot.
- Add the chicken broth and use a spoon to deglaze the pot.
- Add the potatoes and corn. Next season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and seal the vent. Set the Instant Pot to pressure cook on high for five minutes.
- When the cook time is up, allow the Instant Pot to do a natural release for 10 minutes, then do a quick release to remove remaining pressure.
- In a separate bowl, mix the milk and cream with the cornstarch and water. This is called a slurry.
- Remove the lid and add the slurry. Stir to combine and add in the ham, then set the pot to sauté for 5 minutes, until the soup begins to thicken.
This recipe is adapted from Graceful Little Honey Bee.