Recently I experienced a corn dog from a local food truck. These delicious corn dogs were served with a drizzle of honey. That little added sweetness was an amazing addition. This is what inspired me for this recipe homemade honey corn dogs.
I mean you can make just any favorite corn dog recipe and drizzle it with honey. However, I wanted to make a corn dog with honey in the batter in addition to a drizzle on them once you cook them. This recipe is what I was looking for.
The batter itself ends up quite thick on the beef franks. It’s the thickest batter out of all my recipes for homemade corn dogs. You make the batter with equal amounts of corn meal and flour along with buttermilk, egg, baking powder, salt, vegetable oil, sugar and honey. Once you combine this, you need to allow the batter to rest for 10 minutes.
This makes enough to make 6-7 corn dogs, but you can easily double the recipe. I recommend using all beef franks to make these. My favorite ones to us are Ball Park all beef franks.
- YELLOW CORNMEAL
- ALL PURPOSE FLOUR
- BAKING POWDER
- VEGETABLE OIL
- ALL BEEF HOT DOGS
Homemade Honey Corn Dogs
Real Mom Kitchen
- ¾ cup yellow cornmeal
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 egg - lightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp honey plus additional to drizzle with
- ¾ cup buttermilk*
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 6-7 all beef hot dogs pat dry with paper towels
- 6-7 wooden skewers - candy sticks or thin popsicle sticks
- 2 quarts vegetable or canola oil - for frying
- In a large dutch oven heat 1 1/2 inches of oil to 350 degrees.
- You want the batter to be thick enough. Add more buttermilk or flour to the batter to make it the correct consistency.
- Pour batter into a tall drinking cup or glass. This makes it easier for dipping.
- Insert sticks into the hot dogs and dip in batter. Be sure to coat evenly and allow excess batter to drip off.
- Cook 2-3 corn dogs in oil at a time. Turn as needed until nice and golden. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels. Serve with a drizzle of honey along with ketchup or mustard. Serves 6-7.
This recipe is adapted from Life Made Simple Bakes.