I love a good rice krispie treat. I love the crunch of the rice cereal along with the buttery marshmallow coating. However, those premade ones you can purchase just won’t do. They have to be homemade and today I have the recipe the BEST rice krispie treats to share with you.
These are a great summer treat too because they is no chocolate to get melty. There are some key differences from the regular recipe on the box that make these the BEST. First, there is a higher marshmallow to cereal ratio. The original recipe uses 10 oz of marshmallow this one uses 16 oz. You also set aside one cup of the marshmallows to be mixed in with the cereal and not melted. This gives you tasty little pockets of straight marshmallows in the treats.
You also want to make sure your marshmallows are fresh to get the best results. Sure you could use a bag that you have had hanging out in your pantry for months. However, to get the best results, they need to be fresh to give you a soft coating and not a chewy coating.
Next difference is the amount of butter used.
We actually use double the amount of butter in this recipe. Another key difference is you add vanilla extract to the melted marshmallow mixture. You can use imitation vanilla, but for the best favor you want to use real vanilla. You can even use vanilla bean paste. There is a restaurant called Cubby’s that makes them with vanilla bean past and they are amazing! However, I used the red, white, and blue rice krispies that are available in the store right now. I wanted to give them a patriotic look for the 4th of July. So I didn’t want little brown flecks in the treats this time.
Now the other two things to make these krispie treats to be the best are to put them in a 9 x 9 pan instead of a 9 x 13 pan. It will give you nice thick treats. The other keep is the just light press the mixture into the pan. All you are doing is pressing enough to make the top even. You don’t want these pressed tight, you want them to be airy.
My husband is not a big krispie treat fan, but I did get him to try these. He loved them and ended up eating one. He ended up telling me I don’t really care for rice krispie treats but I love these.
- SALTED BUTTER
- MINI MARSHMALLOWS
- PURE VANILLA EXTRACT OR VANILLA BEAN PASTE
- RICE KRISPIES CEREAL
- 6 Tbsp salted butter
- 16 oz bag or 9 2/3 cups mini marshmallows, divided
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 6 cups rice krispies cereal
- Spray a 9-inch square baking dish lightly with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside. Take 1 cup of the mini marsh mallows and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Once melted, add in the remaining marshmallows. Reduce heat to low and continue stirring until completely melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla. Add the cereal and gently stir until combined. Then add in the 1 cup of mini marshmallows that you set aside and gently stir to combine.
- Pour into the prepared baking dish. Press GENTLY just until completely spread out. I put a plastic baggie on my hand and spray it with a little non-stick spray to press it in the pan.
- Allow to sit an 1 hour. You can refrigerate to get them to cool more quickly. Cut and enjoy! Makes 9 servings.
- Prep Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
This recipe is adapted from Shugary Sweets.