Salad is a bbq essential in my book. Any bbq must have some kind of salad as part of the menu. I love this hearty eight layer salad because it is a combination of a green lettuce salad and a pasta salad. This salad is also hearty enough that you can serve it as a main dish too. I have used it for both.
The layers consist of romaine lettuce, small shell pasta, hard boiled eggs, salami, peas, dressing, shredded cheese, and parsley. My favorite part of the salad is the salami!
Since this is a layered salad you can make it ahead of time. It also look beautiful on the table. You can just let your guests dish it up left in the layers or just give it a toss right before serving. This creamy and filling hearty eight layer salad is sure to please!
- SMALL PASTA SHELLS
- VEGETABLE OIL
- ROMAINE LETTUCE
- FULLY COOKED HAM
- HARD SALAMI
- FROZEN PEAS
- SOUR CREAM
- GREEN ONIONS
- HONEY DIJON MUSTARD
- COLBY OR CHEDDAR CHEESE
- FRESH PARSLEY
- 1–1/2 cups uncooked small pasta shells
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cups of romaine lettuce cut into bit sized pieces
- 3 hard-cooked eggs, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup julienned fully cooked ham
- 1 cup julienned hard salami
- 1/2 of a 10 oz pkg of frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2 teaspoons honey Dijon mustard
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Colby or Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 –1 Tbsp minced fresh parsley
- Cook pasta shells according to package directions; drain and rinse with cold water. Drizzle with oil; toss to coat.
- Place the lettuce in a 2-1/2-qt. glass serving or trifle bowl; top with pasta. Then layer on the egg slices. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Then layer with ham, salami and peas. In a bowl, mix mayonnaise, sour cream, green onions and mustard together. Spread over the top. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with shredded cheese and parsley. Yield: 10 servings.
Recipe adapted from Quick Cooking July/Aug 2000 issue.