This post contains affiliate links.
We have another winning recipe today from the Pillsbury Bake Off. This recipe for Hazelnut Beignets was also at the 2013 contest and was created by Karyn Hentz using Pillsbury Grands Homestyle Buttermilk Biscuits along with the new Jif Hazelnut spread.
Now Karen used the Mocha Cappuccino Flavored Hazelnut Spread and espresso powdered in her recipe. I am not a coffee drinker, so I adapted the recipe below to fit my tastes by using cinnamon in place of the espresso powder and the regular Jif Hazelnut Spread.
Only downside to this recipe is, you want to be sure to maintain the proper oil temp when cooking these. If they cook too fast and the oil is too hot, the inside will end up on the doughy side. You don’t want this, so just keep an eye on that.
- 4 cups Crisco® Pure Canola Oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 can Pillsbury™ Grands!™ Homestyle refrigerated buttermilk biscuits (8 ct)
- 1/2 cup Jif® Hazelnut Spread
- In 3-quart heavy saucepan, heat oil to 370°F. In shallow bowl or plate, mix sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Separate dough into 8 biscuits. Press each biscuit into 4-inch round. Spoon 1 tablespoon of the hazelnut spread on each biscuit. Fold dough over filling; press edges to seal.
- Gently place 3 biscuits in hot oil. Cook 1 1/2 minutes or until deep golden brown. Using tongs, gently turn over. Cook 1 1/2 minutes or until deep golden brown. Remove to paper towels to drain. Roll in sugar mixture. Repeat with remaining biscuits, cooking 2 or 3 at a time. Serve warm.
Recipe adapted from Pillsbury.
I have never fried anything…I’m scared. But this recipe may be just the thing I try. YUM!!
You have expresso powder in the written directions but not in the ingredients. How much?
It’s either 1/2 tsp expresso powder or 1/2 tsp cinnamon
depending on what flavor you want. Coffee or Cinnamon