Lasagna Soup is one of those staple recipes for me and my family. It’s so much easier to make that regular lasagna. Plus, it tends to be on the healthier side too because it doesn’t use a ton of cheese and pasta. Well, this recipe for easy healthy lasagna soup is even better.
First off, the soup uses 95% lean ground beef. Second, you use whole wheat noodles. I could not find any whole wheat lasagna noodles at my store. So I used my handy kitchen scale to use the same weight of whole wheat penne pasta instead.
No jarred sauce is used in this recipe either. The tomato soup base includes chicken broth, tomato paste, and canned crushed tomatoes. It also includes a variety of spices that includes onion, basil, oregano, fennel, garlic salt, salt, and crushed red pepper flakes. This sauce is not lacking in flavor at all.
Now, we do need SOME cheese in this soup since it is called lasagna soup. You sprinkle a little fresh parmesan on each bowl for serving.
- 95% LEAN GROUND BEEF
- DRIED BASIL
- DRIED OREGANO
- FENNEL SEEDS
- GARLIC SALT
- CRUSHED RED PEPPER FLAKES
- WHOLE WHEAT LASAGNA NOODLES OR WHOLE WHEAT PENNE PASTA
- TOMATO PASTE
- CHICKEN BROTH
- CRUSHED TOMATOES
- PARMESAN CHEESE
Chick here to get your WW Personal Points for this recipe.
- 1 lb 95% lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 6 ounces whole wheat lasagna noodles (7 pieces) crushed into large pieces or equal amount whole wheat penne pasta
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 oz shaved or shredded parmesan cheese
- In a stock pot, add the ground beef and onion. Cook until beef fully cook and drain off any excess grease.
- Add in the basil, oregano, fennel, garlic salt, salt and pepper flakes and stir well.
- Once you can smell the herbs add in the noodle pieces, tomato paste, chicken broth and crushed tomatoes.
- Simmer on low heat for 15 minutes or until the noodles are cooked.
- Serve each bowl topped with some of Parmesan cheeses just before serving. Serves 5.
This recipe is adapted from Cooking Made Healthy.