Ok, I do have a good amount of tomato soup recipes on my blog. However, it’s because I have a love for tomato soup in various textures and flavors. This Instant Pot creamy tomato basil soup is another tasty addition to my collection. It is also low on points for WW. It comes in at just 5 points. Plus, you get 1 extra point for eating 1 cup of non starchy veggies! So really, I just consider it a 4 point soup.
This soup start by cooking some carrots and onions in a little olive oil. Just sauté it until onions are translucent in the Instant Pot insert. Then you’ll add in the canned tomatoes, broth, basil, sugar, salt, oregano, and baking soda. You can use vegetable broth if you want it vegetarian. However, I think using chicken broth gives you better flavor in my humble opinion.
You will then stir every thing together and make sure to scrape the bottom of the insert so no bits are on the pan. If there is you can end up getting a burn message. Now it’s time to put the lid on and cook it on high pressure for 10 minutes. Then you want to allow the pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes. After that you can do a quick release to release any pressure that remains.
Now at this point, you blend the soup to get that super smooth texture. You can do with with an immersion blender or in batches in your regular blender. All you are looking to do is blend those carrots and onion.
After this, you are going to mix the milk, half and half, and flour together with a whisk. Then you will turn the sauté mode back on and whisk the milk mixture into the soup. Just cook until thickened and you are ready to enjoy!
Now, I do recommend serving this soup with my Italian grilled cheese sandwiches. They are delicious when dipped in this tomato basil soup.
- OLIVE OIL
- CANNED CRUSHED TOMATOES
- BROTH (CHICKEN OR VEGETABLE – I USE CHICKEN)
- DRIED BASIL
- DRIED OREGANO
- BAKING SODA
- SKIM MILK
- HALF AND HALF
Click here to get your WW Personal Points for this recipe.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced carrots
- ½ cup diced onions
- 3 cans (15 oz each) crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups broth (chicken or vegetable – I use chicken)
- 1 ½ tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 cup half and half
- ¼ cup flour
- In the insert the Instant Pot, add the olive oil, carrots, and onion. Using the sauté mode cook, stirring often, until the onions are translucent, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, broth, basil, sugar, salt, oregano, and baking soda. Stir together and be sure to scape the bottom of the insert to remove and bits on the pan.
- Put the lid on the Instant pot and be sure the valve is set to seal. Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. Allow the pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes before quick releasing the remaining pressure (if liquid spurts through the valve, close the valve, wait a few minutes and try again).
- In a bowl, whisk the milk, half and half, and flour until very smooth. Add to the soup while whisking.
- Turn the sauté mode and cook, stirring constantly, until the soup is heated through and thickened. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper, if needed (this is important to do). Serve immediately.
This recipe is adapted from Mel’s Kitchen Café.