The list of ingredients may seem a bit long on this but it’s mainly because of seasonings to help make this taste amazing!!!! My family loved it and it will definitely be occurring regularly at this house.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 lb. ground Italian sausage
- 3–4 cloves crushed garlic
- 3 (14.5 oz) cans petite diced tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp pesto
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk or cream
- 1 1/2 cups dried cheese tortellini ***
- In a skillet, add the olive oil, onion, and sausage. Cook until sausage is fully cooked.
- Add in the garlic and cook until fragrant. Drain off any excess grease.
- Add the sausage mixture to the crock pot along with the tomatoes, broth, bay leaves, oregano, salt, brown sugar and pesto. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours.
- Add in the evaporated milk and tortellini. Turn to low and cook for another 30-45 minutes until pasta is tender. Serves 6.
*** Frozen tortellini may be used instead but will cook faster than the 30- 45 minutes.