Sure you can by crispy taco shells from the grocery store, but you can also make them at home! I personally love this homemade Crispy Baked Taco Shells version. You can get them just under crispy so they are more pliable, which in my opinion, makes them much easier to eat. The pocket to place the meat in is also roomier that the store bought version.
The main thing you need to know about this recipe is you need to be sure to place a piece of aluminum foil across the bottom rack of your oven so you don’t end up with a mess. Trust me, I didn’t do this the first time and wish I had known the mess it would make.
- 8 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- canola oil cooking spray
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Place top rack of oven on top level and line bottom rack with foil.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat tortillas on high in microwave for about 30 seconds until softened or wrap in foil and place in preheated oven for 5 minutes.
- Spray one side of each tortilla with the cooking spray and sprinkle with salt.
- Drape tortillas with the sprayed side facing up over 2 rows of the top oven rack. Bake for 7 to 10 minutes until crispy and brown. I cook mine for 2 minutes so they are still a little soft and pliable.
Recipe adapted from Barbara Bakes.