I love how I can change one ingredient in a recipe and have a completely different dish! With today’s recipe for Chicken Fajita Subs, we are swapping out the tortilla in a chicken fajita for french bread. Now the regular chicken fajita is turned into a chicken fajita sub!
You can always use the same method here for making the chicken fajita mixture and use a tortilla too if you’d rather!
Chicken Fajita Subs
Real Mom Kitchen
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground oregano
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch cubes
- ½ red pepper cut into strips
- ½ green pepper cut into strips
- 1 medium onion halved and sliced
- ½ cup water
- 1 loaf 1 pound French bread, halved lengthwise
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 6 slices pepper jack cheese
- Combine all of the seasonings together in a bowl and set aside.
- In a large skillet, add oil along with chicken, peppers and onion. Cook over medium until chicken is cook and vegetables are tender.
- Add in water and seasoning mixture. Bring to a boil, then cook for 8 or so minutes or mixture thickens.
- To serve, spread mayonnaise over cut sides of bread. Layer with cheese and chicken mixture on the bottom half. Replace tops. Cut crosswise into six pieces. Serves 6.
Recipe adapted from Simple and Delicious