These banana bread waffles with a maple nut cream cheese spread is a recipe you just may want to make this weekend for breakfast. I found it over at Willow Bird Baking. I figured it was the perfect way to use up the over ripe bananas I had on my counter. So, I elected to use my small square Belgian waffle make to make them.
I was hoping the waffles would be crispy on the outside, but they weren’t. That may because I used my Belgian waffle maker. Either way the waffles still tasted fabulous. I was just anticipating a crispy out side with a tender inside. Instead the waffle was all tender.
The thing that makes these banana bread waffles especially yummy is the maple cream cheese spread that you place on top. I put the cream cheese on and then ended up adding a little maple syrup on top of that. So yummy! Now, I just sprinkled the nuts in the waffle before cooking them for those who liked nuts. I also left the nuts out of the cream cheese and had it separate for those who like the nuts so they could just sprinkle on top of their waffles.
Banana Bread Waffles
Real Mom Kitchen
- 2 cups flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 ¾ cups buttermilk or 1 1/2 cups sour cream or plain yogurt thinned with 1/4 cup milk I did buttermilk
- 2 eggs separated
- 4 Tbsp butter melted and cooled
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 3 ripe bananas mashed
- ¾ cup walnuts chopped
- Cooking spray for waffle iron
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, salt, sugar, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- In another bowl, mix together the buttermilk (or buttermilk substitute) and the egg yolks. Stir in the butter, mashed banana, and vanilla.
- Spray the waffle iron lightly with oil and preheat it.
- Add the wet into the dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Beat the egg whites in a separate bowl with a whisk or electric mixer (make sure bowl and mixer are spotlessly clean) until they hold soft peaks. Fold them gently into the batter.
- Spread a ladleful or so of batter onto the waffle iron and bake until the waffle is done, usually 3 to 5 minutes, depending on your iron.
Maple Nut Cream Cheese Spread
Real Mom Kitchen
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 3-4 Tbsp maple syrup
- ⅛ cup chopped walnuts
- In a bowl, mix all of the ingredients together. Serve waffles immediately with a schmear of Maple Nut Cream Cheese. I also ended up drizzling maple syrup on them after the cream cheese.
This is the original picture from this post. The above photo was updated in May 2018.