I have another tasty way to cook up those boneless skinless chicken breasts. This baked queso chicken has a nice Mexican flair. All you need is 7 ingredients and some cooked rice to get this meal on the table.
This first thing you do to make this is give the chicken some soaking time in some buttermilk. If you are short on time just leat it soak for 30 minutes. If you have the time, I like to put it to soak in the buttermilk first thing in the morning until dinner time.
After the buttermilk bath, you drain and pat the chicken dry. Next, you season the chicken with some taco seasoning, salt, and pepper. Then, you place the chicken into a glass baking dish.
Once the chicken is in the bakining dish, the layering begins. It is topped with half the queso then the Ro*Tel. Then comes the remainder of the queso followed with the shredded cheeses. The final step is to bake the chicken.
Once this chicken is baked, you serve it along with the sauce in the pan over cooked rice. This chicken is so tender and topped with cheesy goodness. Baked Queso Chicken is another great comfort meal for this time of year.Print
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 tsp taco seasoning
- salt and pepper
- 1 (10 oz) can Ro*Tel, drained (diced tomatoes and chilies)
- 1 cup store bought queso
- 1/2 cup pepper jack, shredded
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- cooked rice for serving
- Place chicken in gallon sized ziplock bag with buttermilk. Place in the fridge and allow to sit overnight or for a miniumum of 30 minutes. Drain, and pat dry.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Drain chicken and pat dry. Sprinkle chicken with taco season along with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place in a glass baking dish.
- Place half of the Ro*Tel on chicken. Then cover with queso and place the remaining Ro*tel on top. Top with the grated cheeses.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes, until instant thermometer reads 155º. They will continue to cook once removed from the oven.
- Serve chicken and sauce over cooked rice. Serves 4.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Mexican
Recipe adapted from Butter and Baggage.