These apple pie pancake pockets aren’t really a recipe but more of a method. All you need to make these is some prepared pancake batter, a can of apple pie filling, along with some cinnamon and sugar. That’s it.
Now you could make your pancake batter from scratch. However, for this recipe I used my favorite store bought pancake mix. I like to use Hungry Jack buttermilk pancake mix. All you have to do is add water to the mix and you are good.
There is a tool that you need to make these apple pie pancake pockets with.
This is what makes it possible to make the pockets. I went for some inexpensive silicone mold on Amazon. However, the person I got the idea from did use a more expensive version from Cuisinart which can also be purchased on Amazon. My molds didn’t specify the depth of the molds. After buying them, they are not as deep as the Cuisinart version. In fact they are half the depth. So I highly recommend going with the Cuisinart version. I think it will work much better.
To make the pancake pockets, you place some batter in the silicone mold, just enough to cover the inside of the mold. Then you place a spoonful of pie filling on top of each pancake. Next you cover the apples with some more pancake batter. Allow the pancakes to cook for a minute and remove the mold. This will keep those pancakes in a perfect round shape and keep the apple pie filling in the middle. After the pancake cook, you just coat each side with some cinnamon sugar.
You can each these pancakes as is or with a little maple syrup.
I personally liked the addition of a little syrup. Now, I know you are wondering if it’s worth the extra effort to make these. Let me tell you it is!
I tried to just make regular pancakes and coat them in cinnamon sugar. Then I just topped the pancakes with some warmed apple pie filling. It is much easier to make them this way. However, let me tell you they are not as good. There is something magic that happens when that pie filling is cooked in the middle of the pancakes. Make these! This will not disappoint.Print
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 2 cups Hungry Jack pancake mix prepared according to pkg directions
- 1/2 of a can of apple pie filling
- silicone molds
- In a shallow bowl, combine the cinnamon and sugar together. Set aside.
- Prepare 2 cups of pancake mix according to package directions.
- Place silicone mold on preheated griddle. Place some batter in the center of each silicone mold, just enough to cover the inside of the mold. Then you place a spoonful of pie filling on top of each pancake, about 2 slices of apple from the pie filling. Next, add some batter to cover the apples.
- Allow the pancakes to cook for a minute and remove the mold. Then once pancakes are ready to flip, flip and cook over side. Then coat each pancakes on both sides in the cinnamon sugar. Eat as is or serve with some syrup. Makes 10 pancakes.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Recipe adapted from Cooking in the Midwest.