Sometimes, I find great recipes out of necessity. I had some leftover sourdough bread that I needed to do something with. So, I went looking for something on the web. I was thinking about finding some kind of baked french toast and found this. On Recipezaar it’s actually called Apple Strata, but I changed the name of the recipe to Apple Baked French Toast. This turned out to be really delicious.
The only problem was the top ended up to be quite crunchy. Next time, I think I’ll cover it for the first 25 minutes of cooking and the cook it uncovered for the remaining 25 minutes. Hopefully that will solve that problem. I loved the combo of the cream cheese, apple, spices, and the sourdough along with the maple syrup. It Apple Baked French Toast is another recipe that made my mouth scream fall. On trick to this recipe is when you pour the milk/egg mixture over the bread, you need to do it slowly and make sure those bread cubes on the top each get coated.
- 6 slices day-old sourdough bread, cubed, divided
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1 apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins, optional (I left these out)
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk (I used 3/4 cup skim milk and 1/2 cup cream)
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 dash ground nutmeg
- powdered sugar
- maple syrup
- Place half the bread cubes in a lightly greased 11x 8 inch baking dish.
- Distribute cream cheese cubes evenly over bread cubes.
- Top with apples and raisins; cover with remaining bread cubes.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg together.
- Slowly pour over bread mixture; be sure bread is completely covered.
- Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°; bring strata to room temperature before baking.
- Bake, uncovered, 50-55 minutes, until set.(If you don’t want a crunchy top try to cover it for the first 25 minutes of cooking and the cook it uncovered for the remaining 25 minutes).
- Let stand 10 minutes; sprinkle with powdered sugar or pass maple syrup at the table.
- Cut into squares and serve. Serves 12.