I love breakfast and I also love changing up breakfast from the usual, like making french toast in a new way. I have used items like croissants, banana bread, and frozen waffles before to make french toast. So I was excited to see how it would work to make it using slices of angel food cake to amke angel food cake french toast.
As you could guess using cake make a much sweeter french toast. It really could have been served for dessert because of the sweetness factor, but it was quite tasty. Just like regular angel food cake, this angel food cake french toast was most tasty served when topped with berries.
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 prepared angel food cake, sliced into 10–12 slices
- whipped cream
- maple syrup
- fresh berries
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla until well blended.
- Add a little butter to a hot skillet.
- Dip both sides the slices of angel food cake into the egg mixture and cook in the skillet until each side is golden. (For me I did both sides plus the thick side of each slice).
- Serve each slice topped with whipped cream, syrup, and berries. Serves 6-12.
Recipe adapted from Better Homes and Gardens via Recipe.com