This post contains affiliate links.
I was excited to try our this Velveeta breakfast casserole that used that creamy Velveeta cheese instead of regular shredded cheese. So we gave it a try one Sunday morning.
We did like it but felt the Velveeta breakfast casserole was too cheesy for us. Using half the amount of Velveeta was more om our level of cheesiness for this recipe. So when making this recipe keep that in mind. I have included it as a varying amount in the recipe below. I suggest starting with the 1/2 pound and then see what you think from there.
The other thing interesting about this recipe is the base of it is make with cooked hash brown patties. You just take a bag or box of the frozen patties and bake them according to package instructions. You want them nice and crispy. So you may need to cook them up to 10 minutes longer. I made a half recipe for the picture and just cooked mine they way I usually do in my air fryer. If you are making the full recipe, I did cut one or two of my hash browns up to cover the bottom of the pan.
Next you need a layer of breakfast sausage. You can just brown this up in a skillet. Then drain off any excess grease that there may be. This then is sprinkled over those cooked hash brown patties.
Now is where that Velveeta cheese comes in. You sprinkle cubes of the cheese over the sausage. Last you need a bowl to whisk the eggs in along with some sour cream, salsa, salt and pepper in. This mixture is poured over everything in the baking dish. Then it bakes for about 40 minutes at 350 degrees.
- HASH BROWN PATTIES
- BREAKFAST SAUSAGE
- VELVEETA CHEESE
- SOUR CREAM
- SALT & PEPPER
Velveeta Breakfast Casserole
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 12 servings 1x
- 1 (22.5 oz) pkg hash brown patties
- 1 lb breakfast sausage
- 12 large eggs
- 1/2 to 1 lb Velveeta cheese, cut into 1 inch cubes (1/2 lb is plenty for us)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup salsa
- salt & pepper to taste
- Bake hash brown patties as instructed on the package. Flip them over mid way through and if they are not extra crispy bake an additional 10 minutes.
- While the hash brown patties cook, brown the sausage until fully cooked. Drain off any excess grease.
- Grease a 9 x13 inch baking dish and place the cooked hash brown patties in a single layer the bottom of the dish. You may need to cut one in order to get them to cover the pan.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs, sour cream, salsa and salt and pepper together. Mix well so the sour cream is combined well and not floating in lumps with the eggs.
- Spread the cubes of Velveeta Cheese evenly over the hashbrowns. Then sprinkle with sausage.
- Pour the egg mixture in the 9 x 13 baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 50 minutes until the eggs are set in the middle and the cheese is melty.
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cook Time: 50 Minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
This recipe is adapted from Flour on my Face.