This post contains affiliate links.
These are the best chocolate chip cookie bars I have ever made. There are several things that help make these bars so incredibly amazing.
First, this recipe uses all butter. Butter really gives cookies the best flavor. The next key factor to the best chocolate chip cookie bars is the recipe uses both regular sugar and brown sugar. White sugar gives you a crispness because it absorbs the liquid in the dough. Brown sugar also absorbs the liquid but even more so than white sugar. However, brown sugar gives you a dense and moist cookie. So the combination of the two gives you both a soft and crisp cookie.
Next, key factor is you need to mix the sugar and butter with an electric mixer for 3 minutes. This makes the butter and sugar fluffy. If you don’t get it fluffy, you will get a denser cookie. However, don’t over mix or the butter will separate out and it will become grainy, soupy, and greasy. It’s a fine balance. Three minutes tends to be the perfect time. Next, you beat in the eggs one at a time and for one minute for each egg.
Then you add in some vanilla, salt, baking soda, and flour plus a secret ingredient.
The secret ingredient is almond extract. No one will be able to tell that it is in there. They will just know these bars taste different, but a oh so delicious different!
Last key to these bars is a combination of mini chocolate chips and regular sized chocolate chips. I use semi-sweet chocolate. Using two sizes for chocolate chips gives the cookie a nice texture and chocolate throughout each bar. You don’t have to do this, but I really think it makes a difference.
Personally I love the edge pieces of these cookie bars. You can that crisp crunchy edge along with that soft center part. May these this weekend. I promised you’ll be hooked!
- BROWN SUGAR
- ALMOND EXTRACT
- BAKING SODA
- MINI SEMI-SWEET CHOCOLATE CHIPS
- SEMI-SWEET CHOCOLATE CHIPS
The Best Chocolate Chip Cooke Bars
- Total Time: 45 Minutes
- Yield: 24 servings 1x
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 ¼ cups flour
- 1 cups mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a bowl, cream butter and both sugars together with an electric mixer for 3 minutes until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and mix with the mixer for 1 minute after each addition.
- Mix in vanilla, salt, and baking soda. Add flour and ix until combined, then fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spread batter evenly into the prepared baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes until golden. I also toothpick test to make sure only thing on the toothpick is melted chocolate. Cool and cut into 24 cookie squares.
You can make these are regular cookies. Just scoop and bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes. You’ll get about 4 dozen depending the the size of your scoop.
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
This recipe is adapted from Nestle Toll House.