French toast is one of those great breakfast meals. However, with just changing up a few ingredients, you can give the French toast a new twist. This vanilla brown sugar French toast recipe is just that. French toast with a twist.
Now, my mom would always add a little sugar to her French toast batter. But this recipe gets an addition of brown sugar instead. The brown sugar adds sweetness along with more depth of flavor from that molasses.
The other twist is vanilla. I know some French toast recipes include it and some leave it out. The vanilla just adds a little somethin’ somethin’ that makes it taste even better.
Since this recipe is a little more special with the addition of brown sugar and vanilla, why stop there. Instead of milk you use whipping cream. It just makes it even better! There is even a little cinnamon in there for good measure.
Try this vanilla brown sugar French toast for a breakfast as the kids head off to school or enjoy it for a a weekend brunch. Heck, make breakfast for dinner! No matter when you make this French toast, I guarantee you will love it.
Vanilla Brown Sugar French Toast
Real Mom Kitchen
- 1 loaf French or Challah bread sliced into 1-inch slices
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup whipping cream
- 2 Tbsp packed brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp cinnamon
- berries for topping (optional)
- In a shallow bowl, whisk the eggs, cream, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon together.
- In a griddle or large skillet over medium heat., add 1 tablespoon butter. Allow it to melt and coat the pan.
- Dip the bread slices in the batter and place them on the hot griddle or skillet. Cook until golden (about 3 minutes), then flip and cook until golden on the other side too. Repeat with the rest of the ingredients.
- Serve topped with syrup and fresh berries if desired. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Recipe Boy.