There is something about coming home from school to a homemade cookie. I only have one kid left in school and she started back this week. One of these kit kat cookie bars would be the perfect way to welcome her home on this first week of school.
This cookie bars have a secret ingredient that make these cookie bars so soft and chewy. The secret is a box of instant vanilla pudding mix. It helps add to the texture of the cookie. The vanilla flavor also packs a nice vanilla punch to help flavor the cookie base. However, this also includes some vanilla extract too.
In addition to those two ingredients, you also need butter, brown sugar, sugar, eggs, flour, salt, and soda to make that cookie base.so simple and so delicious. Next you mix in some mini chocolate chips. I love the mini chips because it can give you all little bits of chocolate spread throughout the dough.
Next, you press the dough for these kit kat cookie bars into a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Once the dough is pressed into the pan, it’s time for the Kit Kat bars. You can use 8 snack sized Kit Kat bars and cut them each into thirds. Or you can buy a bag of those mini Kit Kat bars and use 24 of those. Since the candy bars are just placed on top of the bars, you could actually swap them out for cut up pieces of mini versions of any candy bar you like.
Kit Kat Cookie Bars
Real Mom Kitchen
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 1 3.4 oz box instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- 8 snack sized double bar Kit Kat Bars (broken into individual bars and cut into thirds or 24 Mini Kit Kat Bars
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking dish and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugars together until creamy and well combined.
- Add eggs and vanilla , mix to combine. Slowly add flour, pudding mix, salt, and baking soda. Mix until forms a dough, then mix in chocolate chips.
- Press the dough evenly into the prepared dish. Top with Kit Kat bars.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-38 minutes or until baked through. Remove from oven and allow cool completely before cutting into squares. Makes 20 bars.
Recipe adapted from Picky Palate.