Waffles are my favorite breakfast food, compared to pancakes and french toast. I love the taste, variety, and ease of making them just like with these Vanilla Bean Yogurt Waffles.
I have a good collection of waffle recipes here on the blog and I have another one to add in to the mix. This one incorporates Greek and vanilla bean. I love the texture and added protein that you get with the addition of the Greek yogurt. It also uses seltzer water which helps make a light texture.
The vanilla bean added an lovely intensified vanilla flavor to the waffles. Now a vanilla bean is the best way to get that wonderful vanilla flavor in these waffles. However, I know that vanilla has been super expensive for a bit now. Heck, I’ve now even switched to imitation vanilla which I would usually never do, but the price of vanilla was killing me. So 1 Tbsp of vanilla extract would be an acceptable substitution for the vanilla bean.
Since this waffle does have a more intense vanilla flavor, it is really great topped with some kind of fruit when serving. The fruit just pairs so well with the vanilla flavor.
Vanilla Bean Yogurt Waffles
Real Mom Kitchen
- 2 ¼ cup flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 vanilla bean or 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- ½ cup seltzer water
- In a large bowl, add the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Use a whisk and blend together.
- Cut the vanilla bean down the center and us a knife to scape of the seeds (AKA caviar). Add the seeds to the bowl along with the eggs, oil, and yogurt. Blend together with a sppon or silicone spatula.
- Add in a little of the seltzer water to thin the batter to the point you can switch to a whisk. Then whisk in the remaining seltzer water.
- Allow the batter to rest while you preheat your waffle iron. The cook batter according to waffle iron instructions. makes 5-6 large waffles.
Recipe adapted from A Spicy Perspective.