BBQ! I must say I love a good bbq anything and today’s recipe is another good one. This throw and go bbq chicken recipe is different from the usual bbq crock pot recipes I have tried.
This one included spaghetti sauce along with the barbecue sauce. It’s perfect for when you have a partial jar of spaghetti sauce sitting in your fridge. Then this throw and go bbq chicken has liquid smoke too. It sounded like a fun combination and it turned out great. Loved it! If you don’t have liquid smoke, it will still turn out delicious. However, including it just gives it that smoky flavor without smoking the meat.
Since discovering this recipe, it has become a family favorite meal. I have even been know to take my slow cooker with me on vacation and make this where ever we may be. I have made this recipe in a hotel room and in an rv. It’s easy enough, that as long as you can plug in a slow cooker, you can make this throw and go bbq chicken anywhere!
I like to serve this on buns that have been spread with butter and then toasted. I toasted them in the oven but you an also toast them in a skillet. This step is completely optional, but worth the extra effort if you can.
- BONELESS SKINLESS CHICKEN BREASTS
- GARLIC POWDER
- ONION FLAKES
- BROWN SUGAR
- SPAGHETTI SAUCE
- KANSAS CITY STYLE BBQ SAUCE (I USED CATTLEMEN’S KANSAS CITY CLASSIC)
- LIQUID SMOKE
- ROLLS OR BUNS TO SERVE ON
Throw and Go BBQ Chicken
Real Mom Kitchen
- 5 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion flakes
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce
- ½ cup Kansas City Style bbq sauce I used Cattlemen’s Kansas City Classic
- 1 Tbsp. liquid smoke
- rolls or buns to serve on I like to toast them
- Place all the ingredients in the crock pot in the order listed above.
- Cook in the crock pot on high for at least 6 hours. Remove the chicken and shred. Return to the crock pot and mix into the sauce.
- Butter the inside of your buns or rolls. Place them on a cookie sheet. Broil them in the oven on the second highest level for the oven rack (this prevents burning). Broil until golden brown. You want them toasty because this bbq chicken is so moist and saucy you will end up with soggy bread if you don’t toast them. Sandwich bbq chicken inside toasted buns or rolls.
Recipe adapted from The Pearson Familee.
This is the photo from when the recipe was first posted in April 2011.