I love beef stroganoff. Unfortunately, every recipe I have tried never got the thumbs up from my husband. He is actually quite picky about meat. If the meat is at all chewy, he does not like it. So I have been on a quest to find the perfect stroganoff recipe that my husband would applaud. Well, that quest was completed today with this recipe for The Ultimate Beef Stroganoff.
I was visiting Mel’s Kitchen Café. She had recently posted a tried and true recipe that she had for beef stroganoff.
She described this ultimate beef stroganoff as “the meat is so tender it practically melts in your mouth and the flavor is fabulous”. With that, I figured it was worth a shot. Now, I didn’t have any stew meat in the house, so I used a pot roast instead. I had one in the freezer, so I let it thaw a little and cut it up into cubes. Then put it in the fridge to allow the meat to completely thaw. I was really hoping this recipe would be a winner since it involves a crockpot. This makes life easier for cooking my Sunday dinner.
Today, I did add a little more thickening than the recipe called for, because I like the gravy to be thick. Or course the mushroom were omitted, since I am the only one who would eat them. I also added a little browning sauce to it when I added the thickening. It turned out delicious.
Everyone was loving it, including my husband. I was talking to him at dinner about a few more adjustments to the recipe for next time. My husband then responded with an adamant “NO”. He told me it was perfect the way I made it. The meat turned out so tender. This is now going to be a tried and true recipe to add to my files.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I substitute sour cream with another ingredient?
You can use Greek yogurt or cream cheese or cream cheese. Just adjust quantities to taste.
What cut of beef works best?
Choose cuts like chuck roast or beef stew meat for tenderness and flavor. Trim excess fat before cooking.
Do I need to brown the meat before placing in the slow cooker?
While it isn’t necessary to sear the meat before slow cooking, it can enhance the flavor.
Can I freeze any leftovers?
Yes, it freezes well. Store in an airtight container. It will keep for a few months.
- STEW MEAT
- GARLIC SALT
- WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE
- BEEF BROTH OR STOCK (MADE UP FROM CUBES OR GRANULES)
- APPLE JUICE
- CANNED SLICED MUSHROOMS
- SOUR CREAM
The Ultimate Beef Stroganoff
Real Mom Kitchen
- 2-3 pounds stew meat
- 1 tsp salt
- dash of pepper
- 1 onion sliced
- ¼ tsp garlic salt
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ cups beef broth or stock made up from cubes or granules
- 1 Tbsp ketchup
- 5-6 Tbsp apple juice
- 1 4 oz can slice mushrooms, drained
- ½ cup sour cream
- Add beef to crock pot. Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper, the top with onion.
- In a bowl, combine garlic salt, Worcestershire sauce, beef broth, and ketchup. Pour over meat in the crock pot.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 4-5 hours.
- When cooked make a simple roux by whisking 1/3 cup flour with enough apple juice (about 5-6 Tbsp) to make a thick but still pourable flour mixture. Stir the roux into the crockpot and add sliced mushrooms.
- Cook on high for 15-30 minutes. Then stir in sour cream.
- Serve over pasta, rice or baked potatoes. Top with addition sour cream if desired.
Original Photo from post. Photo Above updated in Feb 2013.