Beef Stroganoff is a dish I have loved since I was a young girl. I have several version of this dish on my site with various cooking methods. However, I never had a baked ground beef stroganoff recipe, that is until today.
This version gets all combined together, then placed in a baking dish. Next comes a sprinkling of cheddar cheese, yep you heard me right, cheddar cheese. This is one of the things that really sets this dish apart in the stroganoff category. Then it get baked until it’s heated and bubbly.
The other great thing about this ground beef stroganoff casserole recipe is there is no cream of soup used to make it. Instead a base is made using flour, butter, beef broth, sour cream and cheddar cheese.
- 8 oz. egg noodles, uncooked
- 1 lb ground beef
- salt/pepper to taste
- 1 finely diced onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 2 ½ cups beef broth
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 3/4 cups shredded cheese
- Prepare egg noodles for one minute less than instructed on the package. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven for 375 degrees.
- In a large pot, brown the ground beef and onion together. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for about minute, until fragrant. Remove beef from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan you browned the beef, add the butter to the pan and swirl around until melted.
- Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring continuously.
- Add in half of the beef broth and whisk until incorporated, then add the second half.
- Mix in the sour cream, mustard, and 3/4 cup of the cheese until well-combined. (Sour cream will keep melting and will eventually incorporate into the mix.) Allow mixture to simmer for 3-5 minutes, until thickened. Add the ground beef back to the sauce.
- Pour into a 9×13 dish and top with remaining 1 cup of cheese.
- Bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes, until the cheese is hot and melted. Serves 4-5.
Recipe adapted from The Cozy Cook.