There are all kinds of twists on a good old taco. There is navajo tacos, flat bread tacos, taco pizza, and taco soup. Well, today I have another twist for you – tater tot tacos – the ingredients of a taco serve over tater tots instead of in a tortilla. It’s a playful take on classic tacos that’s perfect for family dinner. This is a fantastic addition to your menu rotation for a meal that’s both delicious and unique.
You’ll love the golden crunchy tater tots as the base for this dish. Then top it with a warm zesty and savory beef mixture. This is made with browned ground beef, a can of petite diced tomatoes, and some taco seasoning.
Then you have the contrast of textures through the different toppings you can place on these. You have shredded cheese, lettuce, slice olives, sour cream, and diced green onion. There is a whole lot of flavor on that plate! My family loved it of course. This dish reminded me of eating a taco with “mexi fries” at Taco Time.
- TATER TOTS OR ROUNDS
- GROUND BEEF
- PETITE DICED TOMATOTES
- TACO SEASONING
- SHREDDED LETTUCE
- SHREDDED CHEESE
- SOUR CREAM
- SLICED OLIVES
- DICED GREEN ONION
Tater Tot Tacos
Real Mom Kitchen
- 1 24 oz pkg tater tots or rounds
- 1 pd ground beef
- 1 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatotes
- 2 Tbsp taco seasoning
- shredded lettuce
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- sliced olives
- Prepare tater tot according to pkg directions.
- While the tater tots cook, brown ground beef in a skillet until no longer pink; drain.
- Mix in the diced tomatoes and taco seasoning. Allow the mixture to simmer for 2 minutes.
- To serve, place tater tots on a plate and top with the meat mixture followed by lettuce, shredded cheese, sour cream, and olives. Makes 5-6 servings.
Recipe adapted from Moms Who Think.
This is the original photo from this post. The above photos were updated in October 2023.