Love tamales but don’t love all the work of making them, then this tamale pie recipe is for you! You get all of the flavor, but only takes about 15 minutes of prep time.
Saucy season ground beef is spread into the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch pan. Then it is followed by a layer of cheese and a layer of cornbread. Then you can top each square of tamale pie with you favorite toppings.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (10 oz) can enchilada sauce
- 1/2 of a 4 oz can of green chilies
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 2 (8.5 oz) pkgs corn bread mix prepared according to pkg directions
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Toppings – salsa, sour cream, diced avocado, and minced cilantro
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a skillet, brown beef along with the onion. Drain off any excess grease.
- Season beef with cumin, garlic powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Add in the green chilies and cook for a minute. Then mix in the enchilada sauce and simmer for 10 minutes. While meat simmers, prepare cornbread mix.
- Spray a 9 x 13 inch pan with no stick cooking spray. Spread meat mixture into the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle cheese evenly over meat. Then pour cornbread mix evenly over to cheese.
- Bake at 375 degree for 30-35 minutes until cornbread is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center will come out with no moist cornbread batter.
- Cut into squares and top with desired toppings. Serves 8.
Recipe adapted from Living Lucurto.