Taco soup is one of those recipes that everyone should have. It’s a staple soup recipe! Well, today I have a cheesy twist for you on that basic recipe.
A basic taco soup recipe usually consists of a brothy type base. This version has 3 kinds of cheeses mixed into the base to make it a creamy, cheesy base. I think the combination of sharp cheddar, pepper jack, and cream cheese make it taste amazing!
This cheesy taco soup was a hit with my family and will be a recipe I will now use often as another option for taco soup. I think you’ll love it too!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- pepper to taste
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (4 oz) can mild diced green chilies
- 1 cup mild salsa
- 1 (10 oz) can mild enchilada sauce
- 5 cup chicken broth
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed and softened
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated Pepper Jack cheese
- Optional toppings: Tortilla chips or fritos, sour cream, tomatoes, avocado/guacamole, fresh cilantro
- In a stock pot, brown beef with onions, drain off any excess grease. Mix in all spices/seasonings, red bell pepper and garlic.
- Sprinkle flour over the mixture and cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add in kidney beans, black beans, green chilies, salsa, enchilada sauce and chicken broth. Stir until combined and then bring to boil. Reduce to simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Add in cream cheese and mix until melted. Add in the cheddar and pepper jack cheese and stir until melted.
- Serve topped with tortilla chips/fritos and additional garnishes as desired. Serves 6.
Recipe adapted from Carlsbad Cravings.