Spaghetti is another one of those staple meals that I am sure every family enjoys as part of their regular dinners. Sure you can open a bottle of sauce, but with a little extra time you can have an amazingly fresh tasting sauce.
This simple meatless spaghetti sauce does begin canned tomatoes to give you a quick and easy start, but with a few fresh ingredients along with some seasonings you have a simple but fresh tasting spaghetti sauce. The best part, it all comes together in 15 minutes.
I served this up with a side of cheesy garlic bread. You can find that recipe on the blog tomorrow.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 (15 oz) cans crushed tomatoes
- parmesan cheese for serving
- In a stock pot, add oil and onion. Sauté until onion is tender.
- Add in vinegar, sugar, basil, tomato paste, Italian seasoning and tomatoes. Simmer 15 minutes.
- Serve over cooked pasta and top with Parmesan cheese.
Recipe adapted from Krista Numbers.