I must say waffles are always a hit at my house, so I couldn’t do a week of breakfast/brunch posts and not include a waffle recipe. I did want to take it up a notch from a run of the mill waffle. Strawberries are another food item that tells me it is Spring. These strawberry cream cheese waffles have bits of strawberries in the batter and pockets of cream cheese in them. You get sweetness with the strawberries and a nice tang from the cream cheese.
Don’t be alarmed by dark bits in the waffles while you cook them. It’s just the sugar from the strawberries caramelizing. This waffle recipe also stays fairly light in color. Don’t be concerned, you just want a little golden color to them.
To finish these babies off, you top them off with a fabulous strawberry sauce and whipped cream, of course. Don’t skip the strawberry sauce on these strawberry cream cheese waffles! It really helps round out the strawberries in the waffle and I also highly recommend the whipped cream. If you are concerned with doing a new waffle recipe, you can always use your favorite one and just add the same amount of strawberries and cream cheese.
Strawberry Cream Cheese Waffles
Real Mom Kitchen
- 2 ½ cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 ½ cups whole milk
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 oz cream cheese NOT softened
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar.
- In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla.
- Cut the cream cheese into slices and then cut each slice into little cubes of cream cheese. Keep them all separated on a plate. Set aside.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined. Let the batter rest for 2 minutes and then fold in the strawberries. Do not over beat.
- Pour the batter into a preheated waffle iron. The amount of batter will depend on the size of your waffle iron. I used my regular Belgian waffle iron. Then drop a few cubes of the cream cheese into each waffle. I put about 5-6 per waffle. Bake until lightly browned.
- Serve with strawberry sauce and sweetened whipped cream. I was able to get 16 waffles from this recipe in my waffle iron.
Real Mom Kitchen
- 1 ½ lbs. strawberries diced
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 ½ tsp almond extract **
- In a large sauce pan, combine the strawberries, sugar, and extract. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Simmer for 1 minute and remove from heat.
- Allow the mixture to cool for a few minutes so it is just warm. Place 1 1/2 cups of the mixture from the sauce pan in a blender. This is where you need to be careful. Don't put the lid on the top all the way. Leave it cracked or the steam from the strawberries could cause an explosion. If you have an immersion blender, feel free to use that and no chance of an explosion. Blend until smooth and stir back into the remaining strawberry mixture in the pan. Serve warm over the Strawberry Cream Cheese Waffles.