These stacked chicken enchiladas are a new family favorite. They are so delicious! Plus, it’s quick and simple to make.
The main thing you need for this recipe for stacked chicken enchiladas is cooked chicken. This is a perfect recipe for rotisserie chicken. Or, I love to take a bunch of chicken and cook it in my slow cooker. I cook it with a little chicken broth and seasonings. Then I bag up the cooked chicken and freeze it for recipes just like this. The slow cooker chicken is what I used to make this meal.
I have made stacked enchiladas before, but they did not involve the oven. This version does and it is what makes it so delicious in my opinion. It gets the cheese all melty!
To Make These Enchiladas
To make these I spread a few spoonful’s of green enchilada sauce on a foil lined baking sheet. Then a place a corn tortilla on each spot of sauce. Next, you place some of the cooked chicken on each tortilla followed by a spoonful of enchilada sauce and some cheese. Place a corn tortilla on top and follow the same layers again – chicken, enchilada sauce and cheese.
Next you top with one more corn tortilla, followed by some enchilada sauce and cheese. Now it’s time to go into the oven. It only need 10 minutes in these to get all heated through. Then to serve top with your favorite toppings for enchiladas, I used pico de gallo, sour cream, and olives. Tomatoes, guacamole, and cilantro are other good options.
Now, you could take this method for making these enchiladas and change up the ingredients. You could use red sauce and use ground beef or shredded beef. You could even make these with pork. The combination of ingredients to use is endless.
- COOKED CHICKEN, DICED OR SHREDDED
- CORN TORTILLAS
- GREEN ENCHILADA SAUCE
- SHREDDED CHEDDAR CHEESE
- PICO DE GALLO OR TOMATOES
- SLICED BLACK OLIVES
- SOUR CREAM
- ANY OTHER DESIRED TOPPINGS – GUACAMOLE, DICED AVOCADO, SLICED GREEN ONION, OR CILANTRO
Stacked Chicken Enchiladas
Real Mom Kitchen
- 2 cups cooked chicken diced or shredded
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 can (10 oz) green enchilada sauce
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese I used white cheddar
- ½ cup pico de gallo or diced tomatoes
- 1 small can sliced black olives
- sour cream
- any other desired toppings – guacamole diced avocado, sliced green onion, or cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Cover a baking sheet with foil. Spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray. Spoon a little enchilada sauce into 4 circles on the pan.
- Place a tortilla on top of each circle of the enchilada sauce, and sprinkle 1/4 cup of the chicken, followed by a spoonful of the enchilada sauce, then a layer of cheese. Top with another tortilla and repeat the layering process. Top with a final tortilla, the remaining enchilada sauce, and the remaining cheese.
- Place the pan in the oven. Cook at 400 degrees for 10 minutes until the cheese is bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and serve topped with diced pico de gallo, olives, sour cream, and any other desired toppings.
Recipe is adapted from Pressure Cooking Today.