Cornbread and chili are a common combination. Usually the cornbread is found on the side of the chili, but today, I am putting it underneath the chili in these southwest cornbread squares.
It all begins with an amazing made from scratch cornbread, which is super simple to make. It makes a nice thin cornbread to be the base of this dish.
Next is a thick chili mixture, which is also made from scratch. It is nice and thick with works well to be served over the cornbread. It is also super simple to put together.
Last, is to finish it all off with some shredded cheese and a dollop of sour cream. This is a great way to enjoy chili as we head into summer!
Southwest Cornbread Squares
Real Mom Kitchen
- ½ cup melted butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- ½ onion chopped
- 5-6 mini bell peppers chopped
- salt and pepper
- 3 Tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 10 oz can red enchilada sauce
- 1 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, make the cornbread layer by first mixing melted butter and sugar. Add 2 eggs and mix to combine.
- Add in the buttermilk, baking soda, flour, cornmeal, and salt. Mix with a fork, just until combined.
- Spray a 9x13 baking pan with cooking spray and spread the cornbread batter out evenly into the pan.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- While the cornbread is baking, add ground beef, garlic, onion and 5-6 mini bell peppers to a skillet. Season with salt, pepper and taco seasoning. Cook over medium heat until the beef is browned.
- Add the enchilada sauce, diced tomatoes, black beans, and salsa. Stir to combine and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Cut cooked cornbread into 8 squares. Top each square with a generous serving of chili followed by a sprinkle of the shredded cheese and a dollop of sour cream. Serves 8.
Recipe adapted from Jamie Cooks It Up.