This post contains affiliate links.
I am a cornbread fan. So when it comes to this time of year, I just love a bowl of soup with a piece of cornbread on the side like this Sweet Corn Bread with Maple Butter.
I do prefer my cornbread to be more on the cake-like side. I like it light and fluffy rather than dense. So, when I came across this recipe that called for whipped egg whites, I was intrigued.
I have never made a corn bread recipe where you fold in whipped egg whites. However, I figure it should be nice and cake-like. I was right, it was light, tender, and delicious.
Usually, I always serve corn bread with honey butter, but this time I had the idea to make maple butter. It was equally delicious and the 2 together were AMAZING! Try it, I think you’ll like it!
Sweet Corn Bread with Maple Butter
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup melted butter
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Maple Butter:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degree.
- Place egg yolks in a large bowl with the milk, vanilla, and melted butter. Whisk together.
- Then add in the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir until just combined, you do not want to over mix it.
- In a medium bowl, add egg whites and whip until they form stiff peaks. Fold into the batter.
- Add batter to a greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish and bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serves 15-18.
- To make the maple butter: place butter butter in a bowl and whip until fluffy. Slowly add in the maple syrup and whip until combined. Serve with warm cornbread.
Recipe adapted from High Heels and Grills.
[…] Sweet Corn Bread -I prefer my cornbread to be more on the cake-like side. I like it light and fluffy rather than dense. So when I came across this recipe that called for whipped egg whites, I was intrigued. The maple butter I served this with is a tasty surprise. […]
[…] chili was a cinch to make and the family loved it. We enjoyed it one night along with some corn bread. Then we had enough leftover to have Navajo tacos another night. Give it a try and see how easy it […]