I have heard slow cooker recipes, like this slow cooker mojo pork recipe, sometimes referred to as magical. Well, this slow cooker recipe truly is magical. The word mojo can mean magical charm or spell. In this case, that’s not what the name means, but I think it actually fits for this delicious slow cooker pork recipe.
Mojo is sauce in Portuguese and it has said to originate in the Canary Islands but has since moved on to Northern South America, Mexico, and the Caribbean.
Ingredients found in a mojo sauce can include ingredients like olive oil, garlic, citrus juice (sour orange, lemon, lime), paprika, chili powder, oregano, and cumin. This specific recipe doesn’t include paprika, chili powder or lemon.
I used the meat in tacos but it would also be great in a rice bowl. You really could use it in about any Mexican dish you want to make like quesadillas, salads, enchiladas, etc. We loved it in the tacos topped with lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, and sour cream.
- 1 (3 to 4 lb) boneless pork shoulder/pork butt
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 cup orange juice
- 4 limes, juiced
- In a large skillet over medium, heat oil. Add in the pork and brown on all sides.
- Place the browned pork to 6 qt slow cooker along with all remaining ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Remove pork from slow cooker and shred. Return shredded meat to slow cooker. Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Serve with tortillas with favorite taco toppings.
Recipe adapted from Plain Chicken.