The weather has been cold here in Utah and I have been in the mood for soup. I have shared several enchilada soup recipes before but this Slow Cooker Creamy Green Chile Enchilada Soup is different and a welcomed addition to my collection.
This one uses green enchilada sauce, cream cheese, and rice. It’s hearty, creamy, and flavorful! All of what I expect from a good soup! Plus, you throw it all in the slow cooker and let it go.
After cooking all day, you just toss in some corn, cream cheese and instant rice and let it finish cooking for another 30 minutes. Then all you need to do before serving it is remove the chicken breasts and shred. The chicken will be so tender it won’t take more than a minute to shred.
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 (10 oz) can green enchilada sauce
- 1 (4 oz) can of green chilies
- 2 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2–3 chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, diced
- 3/4 cup instant rice
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional toppings: shredded cheese, avocado, sour cream, and/or chopped cilantro
- Add the both, enchilada sauce, green chilies, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, and garlic powder to your slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Carefully add the chicken to the slow cooker. Cover and cook for 7 hours.
- Now and in the corn, cream cheese, and instant rice to the pot. Stir to combine. Cover and cook for 30 more minutes. You may want to give it a stir a couple of times while it cooks.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred. Return chicken back to the crock pot and stir.
- Serve with desired toppings Serves 6-8.
Recipe adapted from Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom.