There is a restaurant that started here in Utah called Cafe Zupas. It is one of my favorite places to eat. They have amazing soups and salads icluding a Wisconsin cauliflower cheese soup.
My husband loves to order their Wisconsin Cauliflower soup. It’s a blended soup that is smooth and cheesy. So I made an attempt to make an at home version.
This version is delicious but not exactly the same in flavor as the version at Zupas. They have a blend of spices I haven’t quite figured out. I do love knowing my family is getting vegetables when they eat this and they don’t even care that there is cauliflower in this soup!
- 1 (32 oz) box or 4 cups of chicken broth
- 1 head cauliflower cut into chunks, discard green part
- 1 cup diced leeks
- 2 cloves of garlic
- pepper to taste
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- salt to taste
- Optional toppings – additional shredded cheese, french fried onions, and crumbled bacon
- In your slow cooker, add the broth, cauliflower, leeks, garlic, and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Then use and immersion blender to blend the soup or blend in a blender until smooth. If using a blender remember to not put the lid on tight. If you put the lid on tight with hot liquid inside a blender, you’ll end up with a soup explosion! Also, if using the blender place soup back in crock pot after blending.
- Add in the cheddar cheese and cream. Allow cheese to melt and stir until well blended. Add in the salt to taste.
- Serve topped with desired toppings. Serves 6.
Recipe adapted from Real Housemoms.