All you need is some canned biscuit dough. You can use the smaller ones or the Grand ones. I used the Grands because they fit great for my waffle iron.
Next you need to decide on what to fill them with. I went to a classic and kid fav – pepperoni and cheese. Just sandwich the filling between to flattened out biscuits and put it in you waffle maker. In about a couple minutes or so you have a tasty calzone ready to be dipped into some warm marinara.
These were a hit with the family and a definite hit with me for how simple and quick they are to make! So grab your waffle iron and give ’em a try!
- 2 cans refrigerated Grands biscuits
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup mini pepperoni slices
- Marinara or pizza sauce for dipping
- Flatten out the biscuits by hand to make them bigger and thinner.
- Place about 1/4 cup of the grated mozzarella cheese on a biscuit followed by some slices of pepperoni.
- Top with another flattened biscuit. Press dough around edge to seal each biscuit.
- Place in the center of a preheated waffle maker.
- Close lid; cook 2 or so minutes or until waffle is golden brown.
- Repeat until all the calzones are filled and cooked.
- Serve with marinara or pizza sauce. Makes 8 calzones.
Recipe adapted from All Food Recipes.