I have made refried beans before in my slow cooker and loved them. I recently decided to make a black bean version with a little more to it. I made it so you can leave the beans as is from the slow cooker or mash part of them. I served them up on a tostada but would be good in any thing you want black beans for.
- 1 (16 oz) pkg.dry black beans
- 7 1/2 cups water
- 1 diced onion
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 (4 oz) can green chilies
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- Put all the ingredients in a crockpot and cook on high for about 8 hours.
- After they are done, drain all of the liquid out and SAVE THE LIQUID!!
- Remove half the beans and place in another bowl. Mash these beans with a potato masher or whatever you mash with.
- Add the mashed beans back to the crock pot. Add the drained liquid, a bit at a time, to desired consistency, but you want them a little runny because they thicken over time. (makes about 5 cups)
Recipe inspired by Home is Where the Cookies Are.