Making your own simple rice pilaf is not that much harder than opening a box of rice pilaf. You only need a few ingredients, and they are ones that you probably have on hand.
The only ingredient you my not have is orzo pasta. However, if you like this recipe, you’ll want to keep it on hand. Orzo is a pasta that looks like rice. Then all you need is some butter, garlic, onion, chicken broth, and rice. See, you have those right now, don’t you? You basically cook the rice, which you have to do anyway with a few extra ingredients, but they give the rice it’s wonderful flavor.
I like to serve this along with chicken. I served it with the Paprika Parmesan Chicken I shared yesterday.
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup orzo pasta
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 1/2 cup uncooked rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- In a large sauce pan, melt butter. Mix in orzo pasta and cook until golden.
- Add onion and cook until translucent. Then add in the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Then mix in the rice and broth and bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for 20-25 minutes until the liquid is absorbed.
- Allow to sit for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serv. Serves 4.
Recipe adapted from Allrecipes.