I have never made shredded beef tacos before because, believe it or not, my husband prefers ground beef. Whenever we go out to a Mexican restaurant, he always gets whatever he orders with ground beef. I usually order something with chicken or shredded beef. So I asked him why he doesn’t prefer shredded beef and he says it gets in his teeth. Unbelievable!
Well, I wanted to try to make shredded beef tacos. So I found this recipe on cdkitchen.com. You even make it in a crock pot, what could be better? A great recipe to make in the summer. I made it according to the recipe minus the green chilies. I didn’t think my family would appreciate them. I also think my roast may have been larger than 1 1/2 pound and not sure it was a beef chuck. However, any beef roast should do.
I really liked how this turned out. You could even make it and leave out the taco sauce and green chilies. I do like the flavor that the taco sauce added. Plus, I think it added the the moistness of the meat. I did have leftovers, so I made enchiladas with corn tortillas and they were excellent.
This meat would be excellent for any Mexican dish. Now my hubby did eat the tacos and the enchiladas. He said it wasn’t his favorite but he would eat again, but he still prefers ground beef.
- 1 1/2 lb beef chuck roast
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1 (1.25 oz) pkg taco seasoning mix
- 1 (16 oz) bottle taco sauce
- 1 (7 oz) can chopped green chilies
- 1 (12 ct) pkg taco shells
- ***Taco Toppings***
- Shredded lettuce
- chopped tomato
- Shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese or Monterrey Jack cheese
- sour cream
- Place beef & onion in slow cooker. Combine water & seasoning mix in small bowl and pour over beef & onion.
- Cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or till tender.
- Remove meat to cutting board; shred beef with two forks. Place beef in large bowl.
- Stir in taco sauce & chilies. Fill warmed taco shells with beef mixture. Top with toppings (lettuce, tomato, cheese & sour cream). Serves 6.