Celebrate Valentine’s Day with this delicious made from scratch Shirley Temple bundt cake! An easy made-from-scratch cake that is more like a pound cake with pockets of maraschino cherries hidden inside. A twist on the classic &-Up Pound Cake recipe.
When I sliced the slice for the picture, you couldn’t see the cherries in there, but they are there.
Ingredients to Make Shirley Temple Bundt Cake
- GRANULATED SUGAR
- ALL PURPOSE FLOUR
- LEMON EXTRACT
- MARASCHINO CHERRIES
- POWDERED SUGAR
- CHERRY JUICE
How to Make Shirley Temple Cake
The ingredients for this cake includes 1 1/2 cups of butter. So not quite a pound of butter, but pretty close to it.
Then you have 3 cups of sugar, 5 eggs, 3 cups of flour, some lemon extract, 7-Up soda, and maraschino cherries. The cake has a light lemon flavor that pairs well the the juicy red cherries. The 7-Up serves as a substitute for baking soda and adds to the moistness of the cake.
Be sure to pick up some baking spray when you make this cake. I like to use it instead of the classic grease and flouring of the pan.
The spray includes flour in it. Just takes a few seconds to coat your pan. It also pretty much guarantees that cake will come out of the pan with no problem.
To finish this Shirley Temple bundt cake, you have a beautifully pink cherry glaze. All you need is some powdered sugar, 1/4 cup of cherry juice reserved from the jar of maraschino cherries, vanilla extract, and a little cream. Once you have that mixed together, you can drizzle it all over the cake.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I ensure that the cake turns out moist and tender?
To ensure a moist and tender cake, be careful not to overmix the batter, as this can result in a tough cake. Also, make sure to not overbake the cake; it’s done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean with a few moist crumbs attached.
Can I use a different type of cake pan if I don’t have a Bundt pan?
Yes, you can use a different type of cake pan if you don’t have a Bundt pan. You can use a standard round cake pan or even a loaf pan, although the baking time may vary. Just be sure to adjust the baking time accordingly and keep an eye on the cake as it bakes.
For more bundt cake recipes:
Shirley Temple Bundt Cake
Real Mom Kitchen
- 1 ½ cups butter softened
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 2 tsp lemon extract
- ¾ cup 7up
- 1 10 oz jar maraschino cherries (drained and juice reserved) plus more if desired for garnish
For the Glaze:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup cherry juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3-4 Tbsp cream
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- In large bowl, beat the butter and sugar together with a hand mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs and continue to mix until blended.
- Add in the flour and mix again until smooth.
- Add in the lemon extract and 7up and beat to combine.
- Fold cherries into the batter.
- Grease a bundt pan with shortening, then dust it with flour. I prefer to spray with baking spray. This greases and flours the pan all at once.
- Spread the batter into the prepared bundt pan and bake at 325 degrees for 1 1/2 hours or until center is set.
- Allow the cake to cool for 10-15 minutes in the pan.
- Invert the cake onto serving dish and allow to cool completely.
- Meanwhile mix together your glaze ingredients and drizzle over the top of your cake. Top with additional cherries if desired. Serves 12.
Recipe adapted from The Best Cake Recipes.