This post contains affiliate links.
This red velvet marble bundt cake will make the perfect Valentine’s Day dessert. The great part is it all begins with a cake mix!
A vanilla cake mix is used as the base for this red velvet marble bundt cake with a few extra ingredients from the box instructions. The extras include flour, sugar, sour cream, and mayonnaise in addition to the usual water, eggs, and oil. You mix all of this with the cake mix for the usual 2 minutes.
Once the batter is mixed, you set aside 2 cups of it to mix in some cocoa powder and red food coloring to make the red velvet part of the cake. Now, to make sure you can remove your cake from the bundt pan, there are two things I recommend you do. Spray your bundt pan with a baking spray that includes flour in it. You can find it just on the baking isle of the grocery store. The other tip is to make sure the cake cools in the pan for 10 minutes before inverting the cake.
Once you have the pan prepare you layer the batters in the pan. Start with an even layer of vanilla batter and then a layer of red velvet. Next you do another vanilla, red velvet, and then vanilla layer. No need to swirl the batter or anything. That double u shaped swirl will occur as the cake rises and bakes.
Once that cake has cooked and cooled for 10 minutes, it’s time to invert the cake. Once the cake is out of the pan, allow it to cool completely. Then it’s time for the sweet vanilla glaze. This is made by combining some powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla until smooth. Then drizzle it over the cake. I like to give it a little time for the icing to set before I cut the cake.
- CLASSIC YELLOW CAKE MIX
- SOUR CREAM
- VEGETABLE OIL
- COCOA POWDER
- RED FOOD COLORING
- POWDERED SUGAR
Red Velvet Marble Bundt Cake
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 12 servings 1x
- 1 box classic yellow cake mix
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp red food coloring
For the vanilla glaze
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 12-cup Bundt pan. (I use a baking spray with flour in it) Set aside.
- Place the cake mix, flour, sugar, sour cream, oil, water, mayonnaise, eggs, and vanilla in a large bowl. Mix on low with an electric mixer until ingredients are combined, then turn up the speed to medium and beat for two minutes.
- Place 2 cups of batter to a medium bowl; stir in cocoa powder and food coloring.
- Pour a third of the plain batter evenly into the prepared bundt pan. Gently scoop in half of the red batter on top, distributing evenly. Use a spatula to smooth slightly. Continue layering batters in pan as directed above until all batter is used.
- Bake at 350 degrees oven for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the pan. Invert the cake onto serving dish and allow to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the icing ingredients together until smooth. Drizzle over the cooled cake. Serves 12.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Recipe adapted from Mom Loves Baking.