Red Velvet is a fun Valentine’s treat and sugar cookies are a traditional Valentine’s treat in my book. So why not red velvet sugar cookie bars? That is what I have for you today. To make it even easier, they come in bar form.
These cookies are thick and soft and really do taste like red velvet cake. They are also topped with the traditional cream cheese frosting!
Red Velvet Sugar Cookie Bars
Real Mom Kitchen
- 1 cup 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp one 1-ounce bottle red food coloring
- ¼ cup unsweetened Dutch processed cocoa
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 ⅓ cups flour
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 Tbsp butter softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light and creamy, about 2-3 minutes Beat in the eggs then vanilla and food coloring.
- Then add the cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, and half the flour. Blend into mixture. Add the remaining flour and combine until a soft dough forms.
- Press the dough evenly into a 9 x 13 pan. Bake about 20 minutes or until the edges start to pull away and a toothpick comes out of the center clean (it may be red because of the coloring). Cool completely.
- In a large bowl, blend the cream cheese and butter until well combined. Add the vanilla and slowly add the powdered sugar until blended. Frost over the cooled cookie bars. makes 2 dozen.
Recipe adapted from Chocolate Moosey.