One of the great things about using sausage in a dish is you get a lot of flavor without needing a bunch of other ingredients. This Sausage Mushroom Rigatoni is a great dinner that is ready in 30 minutes and requires few ingredients.
However, it is so flavorful. I absolutely loved this dish. I especially love that it also includes mushrooms!
The delectable creamy sausage and mushroom sauce gets served over cooked rigatoni, but you could use just about any shape of pasta you want. I do love how the ridges on the rigatoni helps hold onto the creaminess of the sauce.
Sprinkle with some fresh parsley to serve, this is optional, but well worth it in my book.
- 1 (16 oz) pkg rigatoni pasta
- 1 lb. Italian sausage
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 lb. mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- fresh minced parsley, optional for serving
- Bring a pot of water to a boil to cook your pasta in.
- While you are waiting for the water to boil, cook sausage in a skillet over medium heat until fully cooked. Drain off any excess grease. Remove sausage from the skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, melt the butter. Add mushrooms to the skillet along with the salt and pepper. Cover and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover and add in the garlic. Cook for another 2-3 minutes until the mushrooms are tender and the liquid from cooking the mushrooms is evaporated.
- At this point, the pot water should be boiling and ready to add in the pasta. Cook according to pkg directions.
- Add the cream to the skillet with the mushrooms. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and simmer uncovered for 8-10 minutes until thickened.
- Mix in parmesan cheese until blended. Then add in the sausage and heat through.
- Drain pasta when cooked and serve with the sausage sauce. Sprinkle with parsley if desired for serving. Serves 6.
Recipe adapted from Simple and Delicious