Today is National Chocolate Mint Day! I love the combination of chocolate and mint together. To celebrate, I have a fabulous new recipe for you. It is decadent mint chocolate chip brownie sundae bars! This may look a little complicated but it is really easy.
It all begins with a brownie base. This is done just by making a good old mix from a box. Easy enough, right? Then you are gonna make an ice cream base to put over the prepared brownie. Now don’t let this scare you away.
If you can whip cream, you can totally make this ice cream. It turns out deliciously rich and creamy. However, if you do want to make life even easier, you could just by a 1.5 qt of mint chocolate chip ice cream from the store and use it instead. Just let it soften enough that you can spread it over the brownie.
Then it gets put in the freezer until firm. Once firm, serve it up topped with a little hot fudge and chopped nuts! Just the way a sundae should be served! I like to use the chopped nut topping found with the ice cream toppings, but any chopped nut would work well.
I have also teamed up with some other food bloggers to put together a collection of 10+ chocolate mint recipes to celebrate this fabulous food holiday! We are teaming up each month to #CelebrateFood2015 with a fabulous food holiday! Be sure to check them all out at the bottom of the post! These recipes also work well for St. Patricks Day too. It will be here before ya know it!
Mint Chocolate Chip Brownie Sundae Bars
Real Mom Kitchen
- 1 pkg fudge brownie mix 13-inch x 9-inch pan size
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 6-8 drops green food coloring optional
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 16 oz jar fudge ice cream topping
- ⅓ cup chopped sundae nuts
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Prepare brownie mix according to package directions. Pour into a 13x9-in. baking pan lined with foil. Bake at 325° for 23-27 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (do not overbake). Allow to cool completely.
- Once Brownie base is cool, in a large bowl, combine the sweetened condensed milk, extract and food coloring if desired.
- Whip whipping cream. Then fold in the sweetened condensed milk and mini chocolate chips to the whipped cream.
- Spread over brownie layer. Cover and freeze for several hours or overnight.
- To serve, let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes before cutting. Remove from pan using foil and cut into 15 squares.
- Warm hot fudge just enough to make it easy to use. You don't want it too hot or it will melt the ice cream. Place in a quart sized freezer bag. Cut a corner of the bag using scissors. Then pipe the hot fudge onto the squares. Then sprinkle with the nuts. Serves 15.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home
Celebrating Food Bloggers Recipes (all pictured above)
- Double Chocolate Mint Cookies from Jamie Cooks It Up!
- Chocolate Mint Layered Smoothie from Happy Food Healthy Life
- Chocolate Mint Macarons from Ashlee Marie
- Copy Cat Thin Mints from Like Mother, Like Daughter
- Mint Chocolate Krispie Treats from Butter With A Side of Bread
- Andes Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies from Creations by Kara
- Peppermint Fudge from Summer Scraps
- Mint Brownies from Cupcake Diaries
- Mint Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding from Tried and Tasty